Thursday, November 30, 2006

Write with your eyes closed...

“WRITE WITH YOUR EYES CLOSED. It's not as crazy as it sounds. By looking at the ‘movie in your mind’ you'll often come up with more telling details and fresher images as you type. If you still write in long hand, just spend a few minutes ‘watching’ the scene unfold, then record what you saw.”
--James Scott Bell

For more great writing tips from James Scott Bell, check out: www.jamesscottbell.com

Tricia’s Thoughts:
I’m going to try this today. Won’t you join me?

2 Comments:

Blogger Melissa Amateis said...

I tried this once and it was really weird - actually, I just shut the monitor off and started typing.

3:26 PM  
Blogger Jim Thompson said...

My variation is to meditate on the scene elements--like a blank stage--until the characters appear and something happens. I'm still too concerned with the words as they pop out, making it easy to lose the dramatic flow. Correcting that will take more practice than I have time to devote to it. But at least I know what needs work.

7:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home