Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Librophiliacs unite...

“Books! They keep me up late. They sometimes wake me up, summoning me from my bed in the middle of the night. My best friends. My worst enemies…Because every book I see says ‘come hither and I will make you wise.’ I have now read so many of them they cannot live up to their allurements. Yet all librophiliacs (book lovers, and I did not make this one up) are on the make for that one scintillating paragraph that hides in the deep interior of some book yet to be read. To put it more simply, I’m a sucker for a great read! I always feel the next book I pick up will be the one great book I dare not miss.
–Calvin Miller

Tricia’s Thoughts:
How many of you hear that same call, “Come hither and I will make you wise”? I’m sure if you glanced at my bookshelf, you’d know I’ve been seduced time and time again. Ten feet wide, eight feet tall. The books are sometimes stacked two deep on the wide shelves. Of course, that’s not counting the other nooks around my home. Like my son’s hamster who hides his seeds and nuts around his habitrail—in my home books are never more than ten paces in any direction. Librophiliacs unite!

2 Comments:

Blogger Melissa Amateis said...

I am a complete and total book lover. Have been since childhood. Hubby is, too. So our basement is basically a library. And I keep wanting more and more books. Even if I never read them all, it's just a comfort to have them there.

12:29 PM  
Blogger Jim Thompson said...

As a slow reader--dyslexia, you know--I can't respond to most books' seduction. They do, however, tease me unmercifully. With my oral reading speed, I just go ahead and read orally to my wife, who is legally blind. That way we both profit from the reading. Two wonderful bonuses are: That reading time is perhaps the best quality time we could spend together. Also, I'm learning to appreciate romances and chick-lit.

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home