Thursday, November 16, 2006

God's Help for God's Assignment

Today’s quote was provided by my writer-friend Suzan Robertson. Thanks Suzan!

Sometimes a task we have begun takes on seemingly crushing size, and we wonder whatever gave us the notion that we could accomplish it. There is no way out, no way around it, and yet we cannot contemplate actually carrying it through. The rearing of children or the writing of a book are illustrations that come to mind. Let us recall that the task is a divinely appointed one, and divine aid is therefore to be expected. Expect it! Ask for it, wait for it, believe that God gives it. Offer to Him the job itself, along with your fears and misgivings about it. He will not fail or be discouraged. Let His courage encourage you. The day will come when the task will be finished. Trust Him for it.

-Elizabeth Elliot

Tricia’s Thoughts:

I thought about attaching a photo of my desk to show you what a writer’s life is really like. Research books for my next novel are piled high. There are writing receipts to file and eight mesh baskets that separate my article assignments, from my non-fiction book projects, from my schedules and my contact sheets for my volunteer work. If I were to sit here and scan the piles I’d soon be overwhelmed. “Are you sure God? Is this what you’re asking from me?”

But I don’t get overwhelmed (at least not too often.) That’s because of an important lesson I’ve learned from my writer-friend Anne de Graaf: Focus on one thing.

After their exodus, the idea that the Israelites could survive in the desert was impossible. How could so many souls find adequate food and water? Yet God provided. When His children sought Him, God took care of every need. He does the same thing today with our writing. The thought of thriving (or even surviving) in this fast-paced world of publishing seems daunting. Yet like daily manna, God provides exactly what we need for the day: the strength, the words, the vision. Trust Him for it. Seek Him. God will provide exactly what you need for this moment. No more. No less.

You can visit Anne de Graaf’s website at: www.annedegraaf.com

2 Comments:

Blogger Melissa Amateis said...

Tricia, this was exactly what I needed to hear today. I was feeling overwhelmed in editing my novel, but I neglected to ask the Lord for help. Thank you so much for reminding me that He is here to help me in whatever task I may be struggling with.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Jim Thompson said...

God directs the most daunting assignment I can imagine in 1 Peter 1:14-16. As obedient children, do not be conformed to the former lusts which were yours in your ignorance, but like the Holy One who called you, be holy yourselves also in all your behavior; because it is written, "YOU SHALL BE HOLY, FOR I AM HOLY." Compared to that, writing a novel should be a breeze.

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home