Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Birth Giver...

The artist is a servant who is willing to be a birth giver. In a very real sense the artist (male or female) should be like Mary who when the angel told her that she was to bear the Messiah, was obedient to the command.

Obedience is an unpopular word nowadays, but the artist must be obedient to work, whether it be a symphony, a painting, or a story for a small child. I believe that each work of art, whether it a work of great genius, or something very small, comes to the artist and says, “Here I am. Enflesh me. Give birth to me.” And the artist either says, “My soul doth magnify the Lord,” and willingly becomes the bearer of the work, or refuses, but the obedient response is not necessarily a conscious one, and not everyone has the humble, courageous obedience of Mary.

--Madeleine L’Engle, Walking on Water, p. 18

Tricia’s Thoughts:
My friend Suzan and I have been talking about obedience in writing lately. There is a time when we may feel God asking us to put words on paper, to write a message that causes our hearts to burn, the question is will we obey? It takes hard work. It takes seeking God. But remember, God sees the finished work. Trust Him for it.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jim Thompson said...

Thanks, Tricia, I needed that. I have been in travail, laboring, resisting the urge to push. When will the words be ready to force themselves into the light? Or are they straining to be born against my unreasoning resistance?

11:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home