Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Writing is digestion...

My friend thinks of writing as digestion. For me, it is that and more. For me, writing is food itself. I need a certain amount of writing to stay healthy. Some people like to write in binges, but I like to write three times a day. I quite literally write the way I eat, with appetite and delight at the things I savor.

--Julia Cameron, The Right to Write, p. 28

I’ve been running around for the last few days. We went on a mini-vacation over the weekend. A dozen errands around town followed. My mind feels foggy today. I feel cranky too. I read Julia Cameron’s words and it hits me. I . . . I need to write. Just like my stomach growls when it needs food, my mind sends warning signals when it’s low of fuel. Let’s see. I have a few hours until the birthday party tonight. How about I put some words on paper. What about you?

3 Comments:

Blogger Melissa Amateis said...

I know EXACTLY what you mean. When I can't write or sit down to even edit my manuscript, I get growly and grouchy. Just ask my husband. He likes to blame it on lack of chocolate or PMS, but I tell him, no, it's because I'm not WRITING.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Tricia Goyer said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one!

10:56 AM  
Blogger Jim Thompson said...

Nope, you're not the only one by a long shot. When I go too long without recording my thoughts, I get depressed, rummy, intellectually constipated. Reading breaks the "dam," but then I must write.

12:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home