Friday, November 03, 2006

Goal: Tell a story...

My writing friend Suzan Robertson sent in this quote:

“What I am trying to achieve is a voice sitting by a fireplace, telling you a story on a winter's evening.” -Truman Capote

Tricia’s Thoughts:

Characterization, theme, plot, dialogue, symbolism . . . crafting fiction can be daunting. Where do I start? How do I develop my scenes? How much dialogue should I include? While all these are important, and study of these tools will improve your writing, never forget what it’s all about—sharing a story. Like Truman Capote said, making a voice telling a story the goal.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jim Thompson said...

While crafting a story requires mastery of writing's technical aspects, conceiving a spell-binding story is first an art. I've often felt that every thing is part of a true story, but, by the same token, every thing can become part of a conjured story. If we put enough unrelated things together, we can conjure a whopper of a story.

3:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home