Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Plagiarized...

My writing is plagiarized, but not from books. I hear speeches, conversations, and single sentences I want, and often in one pass they remain in my mind, to be transcribed at relative leisure.

--Kim Stafford, The Muses Among Us: Eloquent Listening and Other Pleasures of the Writer’s Craft, p. 9

Tricia’s Thoughts:

I believe I love researching nearly as much as writing. For my fiction, I interview veterans, read memoirs, and spend endless hours searching on the Internet for minor things such as the look of a classroom where U.S. Army medics trained in 1942. Then comes the time when the words saturate my mind and spill out through my fingers onto the keyboard. I can relate to this idea that all writing is plagiarism. My novels are experiences shared by others, recycled to tell a story of my own making.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jim Thompson said...

"... and often in one pass they remain in my mind, ..."

That phrase is meaningless to me. For some reason only He knows, God built my brain with an almost inaccessible rote memory. May it glorify Him in some unique way that only He can imagine.

4:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home