Thursday, January 25, 2007

Persistence...

This quote was sent to me by my writing-friend, Glenda Schoonmaker

"Keep at it! The one talent that's indispensable to a writer is persistence. You must write the book, else there is no book. It will not finish itself. Do not try to commit art. Just tell the story." –Tom Clancy

Tricia’s Thoughts:

At least once a week I receive an email from a new writer. “I’m not sure about my writing. Not sure if I should keep going. I’ve been rejected again. Should I keep going?”

The answer is “yes.” There are one thousand things that intimidate us about writing. Being good enough at the craft, understanding the mechanics well enough, questioning if the words on the page make sense at all.

Persistence is the only thing that differs between the writing dropouts and the career novelists. For every book that graces the store shelves is a writer who set his or her chin and continued on, despite the doubts that plagued them.

2 Comments:

Blogger Melissa Amateis said...

I think I've finally created a partnership between persistence and discipline. I've been "persisting" on this novel-writing journey for numerous years, but in the last few years, I've had the discipline to actually sit down and finish a book!

10:34 AM  
Blogger Jim Thompson said...

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Writers Write! Nothing is unique about unpublished writers. 99.9% of us are unpublished. Does that defeat us to the point of giving up writing? Heck no! If you quit writing, you're not a writer. Getting published is just the messiest imaginable frosting on the cake.

12:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home