Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Giving it Your Best Shot...

"My aim is to put down on paper what I see and what I feel in the best and simplest way."
– Ernest Hemingway

Tricia’s Thoughts:
Yesterday I was blessed to teach ten, homeschooling students, grades 6-9, the basics of fiction writing. I broke the lessons into basic elements such as characterization and dialogue, and then I gave the students time to write and apply the concepts they just learned. I was blown away with the quality of their writing! It was fresh. It was truthful. I was impressed.

Of course, since these students only read their contributions out loud, I’m sure the pages were filled with misspellings, and grammar and punctuation errors, but it didn’t matter. They reminded me again what writing was all about—having fun, being simple and truthful, and giving it your best shot.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love the honesty in children. They tell it like it is.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Jim Thompson said...

You've identified the quality that should separate Christian authors from the rest. Jesus gave a lesson about it: And having called forward a little child, Jesus set him in their midst. And He said, Truly I say to you, Unless you convert and become as the little children, not at all can you enter into the kingdom of Heaven. (Matthew 18:2-3 LITV) Is it possible to be at once, intellectual and child like? Try reading the fiction of George MacDonald and C. S. Lewis.

7:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home