Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Part of the Body...

“We all feed the lake. That is what is important. It is a corporate act. During my time in the theatre I knew what it was to be part of such an enlarging of the human potential, and though I was never more than a bit play or an understudy, I knew the truth of Stanislavsky’s words: “There are no small roles. There are only small players.” And I had the joy of being an instrument in the great orchestra of a play, learning from the play (how much Chekov taught me during the run of The Cherry Orchard), from the older actors and actresses. I was part of the Body. That’s what it’s all about.

--Madeleine L’Engle, in Walking on Water

Tricia’s Thoughts:

In this quote, Madeleine L’Engle is speaking of theatre, but my mind couldn’t help to move to writing. I’m blessed to be at a point in my life where I consider many writers as friends—both those who’ve been writing longer than I’ve been alive, and those who are just beginning to discover the joy of putting words on paper. Their words, together, feed the lake. And they feed my soul. I learn from them all, and I am changed. Being a writer is being part of the Body. Perhaps you feel like a disconnected member, but know there’s a place for you. Attend writer’s conferences, join local or online groups. You are needed as much as you need.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home