Friday, January 12, 2007

Self-revelations...

“It is in their 'good' characters that novelists make, unawares, the most shocking self-revelations.” –C.S. Lewis

Tricia’s Thoughts:
One of the most intriguing writing tasks is getting to know my characters. They all start as “heroic” people, but the deeper I dig (with the help of “Writing the Breakout Novel” by Donald Maas) the more hang-ups I discover within that person.

This quote by C.S. Lewis rings true concerning the characters I create—so many times their hang-ups are my own. And perhaps some of their strengths too.

Someone once told me that writing is cheaper than therapy. I don’t know how it works, but writing does have a way of bringing out the most shocking self-realizations.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jim Thompson said...

Once I've become committed to my characters I feel as though I've agreed to a marriage covenant with them. As a wise spouse, I dare not try to make them into someone they are not.

12:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home