Friday, January 19, 2007

C.S. Lewis...

“Don't say it was ‘delightful’; make us say ‘delightful’ when we’ve read the description. You see, all those words (horrifying, wonderful, hideous, exquisite) are only like saying to your readers 'Please, will you do the job for me?’ ”
–C.S. Lewis

Tricia’s Thoughts:
One thing that inspires me most as a writer is to read about other Christian authors. Their joys, their struggles, and their successes that come when they persist, seeking God’s wisdom and strength.

One of my favorite writers is C.S. Lewis. (I’m sure many of you feel the same!) Every night our family’s bedtime routine includes my husband reading a chapter from a fiction book. We’ve read the Narnia series at least three times, and I’m itching to have our family swept away to that magical world once again.

Why are we so entranced with C.S. Lewis? It’s because he succeeds at what he urges other writers to do. Lewis does the work. He doesn’t offer simple descriptions, but instead takes us into his world. C.S. Lewis makes us say “delightful” the moment we’re transported through the Wardrobe.

Here’s a bonus quote:
“ ‘You would not have called to me unless I had been calling to you,’ said the Lion.”
-- C.S. Lewis (The Silver Chair)

For more information about C.S. Lewis’ writing, check out the website developed by his step-son: http://cslewis.drzeus.net/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home