Thursday, June 29, 2006

Secret Formula...

“Constantly I run into people who say they would love to travel if only they had the chance. Constantly I also run into people who say with equal fervor they would love to write if only they had the time. This kind of chatter is an annoying waste of conversation, because if a man really wants to travel, nothing will hold him back. If he wants to write, he will find the time. So, if you are determined to be a writer, there is nothing I can do to persuade you. Nothing will hold you back--unless you start out expecting to uncover some secret formula . . .”

--quoted from an article by William Ashley Anderson in The Writer, August 1954

4 Comments:

Blogger Cara Putman said...

My secret formula? Plug myself in a chair and write, whether or not I feel like it. That discipline really helps. Though I need to get back into it now that another project is done!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Tricia Goyer said...

Wow. That's mine too! Sometimes I pour myself a BIG cup of coffee and tell myself I can't use the restroom until I write 500 words. It works!

12:22 PM  
Blogger Jim Thompson said...

Thankfully, Anderson declared null and void the idea of a secret formula, or as I call it, a silver bullet. Wish I could say I've never wasted time looking for it.

6:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, I've always wanted to travel, but practically speaking, the lack of funds was my problem. Lack of $ doesn't stop me from writing, though. It's like you said, just a matter of applying the seat of the pants to the seat of the chair and putting the mind in gear:-)

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home