Thursday, December 28, 2006

You are needed...

Today, I’m doing things a little backward, and I’m giving my thoughts before the quote. You’ll understand . . .

Tricia’s Thoughts:
Have you ever walked into a bookstore or perhaps a book convention and thought, “Why, am I doing this. I’m crazy. Why try?”

There are so many books being published, dozens of writers vying for the same position on the store shelves, or within the pages of a magazine.

I have to admit I’ve thought this. More than once. Just doing a search on Amazon.com has me convince Solomon was right, “There is nothing new under the sun.”

Yet . . . there’s something inside that believes different. A gentle stirring that tells me my words are important. Here’s encouragement if you’ve ever felt that way:

“No one can ever fully do your work for you. God has given you a background, a special set of personal experiences of His faithfulness, and a personality, and He has invested His mercy and grace in you in such a way that you can bless some people better than anyone else ever could. You are God’s most perfect instrument for some tasks. You have your own role to play in the plan of God, and no one else can take your place.

“You are needed by God for the task for which He is preparing you. It will take all your love, prayer, and faithfulness to fulfill God’s call and will for you. If I leave part of my work undone and you fill my place, then you leave empty the place God wanted you to fill and some of the work God wanted you to do will be left undone. None of us has a right to conclude, ‘Well, if I don’t obey God someone else will take my place.’ If you fail to obey God, there will be a gap in the work of God (Ezek. 22:30). There are many unfilled gaps in the work of God around the world today.”

--Wesley L. Duewel, Let God Guide You Daily, p. 182

P.S. I highly recommend this book, although it is out-of-print and hard to find.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so needed today's quote. Tricia, thank you for being God's instrument in my life today.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Jim Thompson said...

Interesting that Brother Duewel referred to Ezekiel chapter 22. Just before his referred verse, the last half of vs. 28 says, They say, 'This is what the Sovereign LORD says'-when the LORD has not spoken. That is the Biblical theme that makes me think hard before claiming to speak for God in my writing. We need to be so certain that our message is from God that we fear being wrong more than we dread not writing.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Tricia Goyer said...

I'm glad I blessed you Judy.

Also, I agree Jim. There are too many people who claim that God is speaking through them.

One thing I weigh is the fruit of people's lives. The fruit of the Spirit will be evident when the Spirit of God is at work in them ... and hopefully me too.

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home