Thursday, September 14, 2006

I do the best I can...

“I don’t know if I’d want to put any adjective to myself as a writer. I’m a writer like anybody else. I do the best I can. Somebody said the other day that I was a religious writer in the sense that I was trying to make religious points. I’m really not. I’m like any other novelist. I’m trying to listen to what goes on in the lives of my characters and the interesting things that happen to people; and, because I am a religious person, I always listen for the religious things that go on. But I can’t think of any adjective that I would want to be known by.”

~Frederick Buechner, Of Faith and Fiction by W. Dale Brown, p. 32

1 Comments:

Blogger Jim Thompson said...

Though we resist catagorizing ourselves within our calling, can we resist appending to ourselves our own, unspoken labels? I'm a writer; an erratic writer, an unpublished writer, an emotional writer, a busy doing other stuff writer. Do I publicly label myself as such? Of course not. I don't want to be known as the person I see myself to be. In fact, I don't want to be that person.

11:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home