Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Real Writers...

Real writers talk about their own lives, their own deepest fears and terrors and passions, in the midst of telling their “fictional” tales. If that seems too difficult or awkward, leave that material alone for now.
Over the course of time, you will find yourself going more and more deeply into what you need to get said. You will make friends with your demons, learn how to lead them out of their dusty cages—teach them to sing at your bidding and for your pleasure. But for now, write about what’s comfortable to write about. Let the demons lie. They won’t go anywhere: they’ll be there when you are ready to start taming them. Ultimately, other writers, other brave spirits, will give you the courage you need.

--Steve Kowit, In the Palm of Your Hand, p. 48

3 Comments:

Blogger Jim Thompson said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:47 AM  
Blogger Jim Thompson said...

In my experience, demons won't just lie still, waiting for me to bid them forth for my pleasure. They have minds and wills of their own, and are adept archers, accurately launching their fiery arrows at every chink in my armor.

As much as they love to use their fire-darts, they hate exposure to the light of truth. Writers have the power to drag them kicking and screaming out of the darkness to expose that one vulnerability. We must exploit that power, or let them consume us from the inside.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Tricia Goyer said...

Jim, good point. But most writers aren't able to do that right away. For example, my first 30 article or so were "safe." I wrote about kids, parenting, back to school, etc. I interviewed people and wrote their words.

Then, I wrote an article dealing with a painful part of my past. There it was on the page for everyone to see. My other articles never saw the light of day again. THAT article "Silent Suffering" is still being reprinted. After that, the painful stuff started popping up in novels. It's like therapy. I can work and rework the pain into a "lived-out" word picture.

5:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home