Monday, May 01, 2006

Health and the Writer, By Camy Tang

While working full time and writing, it became hard for me to stay in shape. This wasn't a vain observation--I have genetic health problems that exploded when I started spending all my time with butt glued to computer chair. The work environment also didn't help since I spent some time eating out for lunch with coworkers. My friends who are stay-at-home-moms had similar problems with the stress of kids and the lure of fast food dinners.

I researched and figured out a bunch of tips and tricks to help me stay in shape without carving out of my precious writing time. I also found some tips to help me have just general better health. Pick and choose which of these will work for you.

Use exercise as brainstorming time.

If your health permits, walking regularly can be a good way to stay healthy, ward off osteoporosis, and—most importantly—to brainstorm. Take with you a pad and pen or a small voice recorder. Or bring along your CD or MP3 player and listen to a recorded writing workshop. Just 30 minutes a day can make a huge difference in your health and your creativity output.

Exercise bike or elliptical machine--a great place to brainstorm, read (either a writing-related book, market research, or just for fun), listen to a recorded writing workshop, or even watch TV if you have one in your living room.

Efficiency Alert: Multi-tasking and doing these things, even reading and watching TV for leisure, can free up time for writing later. For example, you watch that taped episode of "Desperate Housewives" while on your exercise bike in the afternoon instead of later that evening, enabling you to write during that time.

Check out Camy’s website
And Camy’s blog

Labels:

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I got myself a treadmill for this very reason: to multitask. Unfortunately, everywhere I've lived since, has not had the appropriate space to place the treadmill. But it is a great idea and one of these days I want to make it work.

Since I'm not a writer, when I go out walking all I can do is enjoy what little scenery there is around my abode. Sometimes I just have to concentrate too hard on all the bumps and crags and other obstacles in the way of my walker. But I do find it does me a lot of good just to get out--except in the winter when vehicles of any kind, including the walker, have trouble getting through piles of snow or start skidding on ice. I guess I just have to make a firmer resolution to do something every day. Oops, just realized this is called "Health and the WRITER". Hope I can stay.

12:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

One thing I *can* during my walks is pray, even with some interruptions.

12:41 PM  
Blogger Georgiana Daniels said...

Great suggestions! It's timely, because I'm starting to get "writer's spread." At least that's what I call it, for lack of a better excuse!

1:22 PM  
Blogger Tricia Goyer said...

Sigrun,

OF COURSE you can stay. Welcome!

I often pray as I walk too. I also tuck Scripture cards in my pocket and try to memorize a verse a week.

2:59 PM  
Blogger Tricia Goyer said...

I'm currently working on my "Writer's Spread." I've been gaining a few pounds every book, and it's adding up!

My husband and I have made it a goal to try to walk every evening. Spring has finally come to Montana and we want to enjoy the sun while it lasts!

3:00 PM  
Blogger Jim Thompson said...

Sigrun, based on your comment, you'd qualify as a "closet writer." In fact, you write well. You don't have to be published, or even writing fiction, to be a writer.

From your name and the fact that you use a walker, I deduce you are a woman of vast life-experience. I'd love to get you started writing about yourself, and see what comes of it.

11:32 AM  
Blogger MaryAnn Diorio, PhD, MFA said...

Thanks for the tips, Camy. I exercise on a treadmill. I use that time either to pray or to read a book on writing or a novel. So that I don't have to hold the book while walking, I purchased a book rack that my DH installed for me. With the rack and a book clip to hold my pages open, I'm in business. :-)

Blessings,

MaryAnn
www.maryanndiorio.com

6:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home