Monday, April 17, 2006

Health and the Writer by Camy Tang

While working full time and writing, it became hard for me to stay in shape. This wasn't a vain observation--I have genetic health problems that exploded when I started spending all my time with my butt glued to a computer chair. The work environment also didn't help since I spent some time eating out for lunch with coworkers. My friends who are stay-at-home-moms had similar problems with the stress of kids and the lure of fast food dinners.

I researched and figured out a bunch of tips and tricks to help me stay in shape without carving out of my precious writing time. I also found some tips to help me have just general better health. Pick and choose which of these will work for you.

Ergonomics:

Make sure your workstation is comfortable—not to hot or too cold, all your writing necessities placed in easy reach. Your efficiency will soar when your writing space is set up properly around you.

Arrange your furniture to minimize joint and tendon stress. When typing, your knees and elbows should be at 90 degree angles, your shoulders relaxed, lower back adequately supported. When using the mouse, your arm shouldn't reach or crook. The monitor should be directly in front of you, not to the side, with your eyes falling at approximately 1/3 from the top of the screen.

Check out Camy’s website at: http://www.camytang.com/
And Camy’s blog: http://www.camys-loft.blogspot.com/

Labels:

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Camy, thanks for sharing these tips. I was pleased to find that I met all the guidelines for comfortable writing area. Now if the words would only come that easily. got any tips for that? LOL!rose

8:48 AM  
Blogger Tricia Goyer said...

Or tips for cleaning up the piles on paper on my desk? :-)

10:52 AM  
Blogger Camy Tang said...

Thanks, Rose! LOL! I need tips for those, too! If I find a magic formula, I'll be sure to share.
Camy

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home